Boca Raton Pediatric Dentist
There may be circumstances in which removing a tooth may be necessary. Your child’s tooth may need to be extracted if:
- It is not possible to restore the tooth due to decay.
- The primary tooth is interfering with the eruption of the permanent teeth.
- If needed as a part of orthodontic treatment.
- Trauma or infection has caused damage to the tooth.
In the event that a primary tooth is lost prematurely, our pediatric dentist may recommend a space maintainer. This will ensure that adjacent teeth do not shift in order to allow proper eruption of permanent teeth.
Our focus is your child’s comfort. You will find that our team is experienced in helping your child feel at ease during and after treatment.
In order to prevent bleeding and aid in the formation of a clot, our pediatric dentist will place a small piece of gauze over the extraction site once the tooth has been removed. When it becomes soaked, change it for a fresh piece until the bleeding has stopped.
For the first 24 hours following your child’s extraction, the following tips are recommended:
- Our pediatric dentist may recommend the use of over-the-counter or prescribed pain relievers.
- You should give your child soft foods for the first 24 hours after their extraction.
- Do not allow your child to drink from a straw, rinse their mouths out, spit, or brush that area for at least 24 hours following tooth removal. This may dislodge the blood clot and result in a very painful condition called “dry socket.”
- To relieve swelling and discomfort, place an ice pack wrapped in a towel over the area for about 20 minutes.
- Please contact our office immediately if your child exhibits symptoms such as fever, intense pain, or chills.
We aim to help them heal and recover as quickly as possible so that they can once again enjoy a healthy smile.
To learn more about tooth extractions for children and to schedule an appointment for your child with our experienced pediatric dental team, please contact our office today. It is our goal to help your child achieve and maintain a healthy, beautiful smile for life.